Riffing on both the Perilous Journey move and the great supplement by Jason Lutes, I’ve written two moves to enhance overland exploration – not just travel.
Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
When you spend your days traveling outdoors and rely on good weather, roll +LUC (or, roll +nothing) to determine how many weather aspects below will change by one step. On a hit, the weather continues to be in your favor; on a 7-9 choose two weather aspects that you may change one step each; on a 10+ choose three aspects. (Alternate: 7-9 choose two aspects that the DM may change; 10+ choose one). On a miss, the DM can describe a severe or extreme weather occurrence.
* Temperature: Frigid, cold, chilly, mild, warm, hot, sweltering.
* Clouds: Clear, hazy, overcast, cloudy, thunderheads.
* Winds: Calm, breezy, windy, stormy.
* Humidity: Dry, humid, foggy, drizzle/sleet, shower/snowflakes, Downpour/blizzard.
When you explore dangerous and unknown lands for the purpose of making maps, hold 3 Hexploration per day. Spend 1 hold to perform any of the following actions before needing to Make Camp for the day:
* Travel to an adjacent hex as a Perilous Journey
* Explore the current hex and make a Discovery; or
* Take a Short Rest (i.e., spend some down time, consume a ration, heal your hit dice)