So I did my first Session of GMing. and I have a couple of problems that need addressing with my GMing. I’d like to address the community to get some advice or ideas on some issues moving forward:
1. Encounters, traps. Situations where mobs and traps act first. If you only move after a failed roll. What do you do when your Mobs or traps have the drop on the PCs or your PCs fail to act on a threat? Ideas?
2. On the reverse side, my Thief developed the “shoot first” action where she pretty much can never be surprised. How do you order these actions in a fair and fun way when your thief character always “gets the drop”? What are some good ideas/moves to surprise my PCs with a thief that inherently knows whats going on at all times?
3. I’m looking for ideas to incorporate ALL the GM moves. I find in my inexperience, that I will all too often deal damage to my characters, instead of destroy their armor, or “put them in a spot”. I thought about rolling a d12 (for 12 GM moves) when I’m stuck to purposefully mix it up for myself. What are some ideas you all have to keep the action and the experience lively and not just dealing damage back and forth?
4. How do you incorparate stealth? Roll+dex 10+ and sneak past undetected? roll+dex 7-9 incite suspicion? Ideas?
5. The Perilous journey move: I’m almost totally lost on this one, especially with this whole “get the drop” idea how do I do it? And when my Mobs don’t get the drop on the PCs, the PCs don’t get the drop on them either? What is that even mean do I make this a game play mechanic?
Thank you for your time!