On the three questions again:
“• Did we learn something new and important about the world?
• Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?
• Did we loot a memorable treasure?”
We’ve not been hitting the “treasure” one very much, in either of our current games. Consensus (at least in one group) was that we don’t really care – we’re playing a game of fantasy characters having stories, often involving various factions and powers, not actually a game of dungeon crawling for treasure. So, we’re thinking of alternatives.
Some ideas so far:
* Did we acquire a valuable asset that advances our position?
[This is meant to be broader than just physical items, to encourage us to think of allies, legal statuses, enchantments applied to things…]
* Did we do something significant towards rebuilding the shattered city?
[This is a kind of campaign/story goal – it would need buy-in from all the players, and should be reviewed frequently just like bonds are]
* Did we advance most of our character stories?
* Did at least on of our character stories take a dramatic advance?
[These zoom in on individual PCs, but unlike the campaign one above they don’t precommit to which PC(s)]
Has anyone else done anything similar?