I’ve been writing monsters for a module I’m working on about death and afterlives, and I’ve been thinking about monster moves that don’t involve punching dudes in the face, giving players another, non-combat way to interact with monsters – especially ones with the intelligence tag. Taking advice from captain indigo in the DW thread on something awful forums about giving monster moves triggers, and set to work.
solitary, stealthy, devious, intelligent, hoarder, planar
Illusion Magic (D6 damage)
close, reach, near
Instinct:To confuse, trap, and trick
Special Quality:Illusions of desire and fear
Trickster Demons don’t focus on overt power or ruling great numbers. They use their powerful illusion magic and sharp wits to gain power by binding others in contracts. The Trickster traps you in it’s illusions of either your greatest desire, or your worst fears, and then binds you in a blood contract. your continued pleasure, or freedom from your nightmares, for a boon, a favor, or your servitude. Trickster Demons love bringing the living under their sway, so they can spread their influence to the living world. Their brand of power and cruelty is mundane in an unending tapestry of cruelty and struggle for power. In the Living world, their tricks, illusions, and blood contracts give them power, and command respect, fear, and obedience.
* When they are near, sense their deepest desires and darkest fears
* When they are vulnerable trap them in an illusion from their own mind
* When they are trapped in your illusions, offer them a bargain signed in their blood
* When they can help you reach the Living, demand it as payment
* When you are in control, preen and showboat your illusionary power
* When they have your True Name, be bound to the letter of their word.