A set of experimental, alternative melee combat moves that originally began as a shower thought. By experimental, I really mean that I just finished writing these on a whim.
Inspired by AW 2E, Jeremy Strandberg’s Heartbreaker World, Paul Taliesin’s alt. harm moves for AW, and probably other PbtAs.
Force Your Way
When you attempt to achieve something by brute force, expect the enemy to resist it. (If there is no enemy, you’re just Defying Danger.)
Then, roll+nothing. On a hit, choose equal number of options to your STR from below. (You can still choose one if your STR is below 0.) On a 10+, choose one more:
* You deal your damage.
* You create an advantage; describe it and get +1 forward to act on it.
* You achieve what you set out for.
* You avoid enemy’s resistance and take no damage.
On a miss, enemy makes a move against you and you may try to avoid it. (If you don’t, suffer the consequences.)
(Note 1: perhaps you can give a move that grants +1 or 2 ongoing to Forcing Their Way through to Fighter, Paladin and such. They’re supposed to be adept at combat, after all.)
(Note 2: I’m also thinking about restricting deal damage option to 10+.)
When you assault an enemy and you’re in control of the situation, roll+STR. (If you’re not in control, you’re Forcing Your Way through.) On 10+, you deal your damage to the enemy. On a 7-9, enemy also attacks you back. Choose one:
* You withdraw from attack and defend yourself; enemy controls the situation now.
* You attack anyway (deal your damage) and expose yourself to the enemy’s attack.
When you take damage, roll damage dice and subtract from your current HP accordingly (after armor if any).
If the damage is 12+, you suffer a mortal wound. Choose one from the 10+ list and another from the 7-9 list below.
If it’s 10+, you’re severely injured. Choose one; or GM choose 2 from the 7-9 list below.
* You take 2 debilities.
* This wound can’t be healed easily; you can only stop it from getting worse for now.
* One of your limb is disabled. Maybe you just sprained it’s joint. Maybe it’s broken or ripped off.
* You’re out of action for a while.
If it’s 7-9, you’re badly hurt. Choose one:
* You take one debility.
* You’re a mess: bruised, scratched, bleeding profusely.
* You lose your footing or end up in a worse position.
* You lose grip of whatever you’re holding.
* You’re stunned.
If it’s 6-,
tis but a scratch you’re definitely hurt but you can ignore it for now.
Edit 1: rewritten Force Your Way (previously Use Brute Force) to be clearer.
Edit 2: changed wordings in general.