This thread got me thinking about the wizard and spells.
I know the general consensus is to ditch the wizard playbook, but I dig vancian magic and spells. It is easier for me and my players. Plus it feels like the old days.
The approach to using ritual is well explored in that thread. A different approach would be to create new move that could be taken when you level up to research magic spells. Googling revealed their is not a lot of work in this area.
What would such a move look like? I have this one for starters, not play tested though no one in my group is playing a wizard right now.
When you have enough time and access to a library you can craft a new spell. Describe he spell effect and what you want to have happen. The GM will:
Tell you what the actual spell can do
Tell you what level it is
Offer you a different version at a lower level or cantrip level
On a 10+ you are successful, cross off one use of your library and add the spell to your spell book
On a 7-9 you are successful cross off one use of your library and choose one:
– the process warps your mind, take -1 to INT rolls until you roll doubles while using magic in the future
– you attract unwanted attention on the planes of magic
– the process was more difficult than you expected, cross off 3 uses of library instead of 1. If you don’t have 3 uses then pick something else
– you are marked in someway, the magic is slowly changing you. You radiate magic continuously. If you take this consequence more than once the effect becomes more pronounced. Eventually you will be a being of whatever spells are made off. You can be dispelled.
– the spell will work but has some additional unattended consequence, the GM will tell you
– the research mostly worked, you are missing one ingredient, the GM will name it and tell you how to get it. It is up to you to determine if you want to. It may not be easy to get, but won’t be impossible.
On a 6- it is not successful cross off one use of your library and the GM will pick one
– an unspoken move appropriate to the game
– you cannot research a spell again until you find ________ to unlock the secrets of the Word.
– somehow you tapped into an interference with your link to understanding magic, something unexpected will happen when you use magic until you are able to do ______.
– your research tapped into a feedback loop on the planes of magic, you blaze with magic out on to the place were spells come from like an irrating feedback, surely some beast or planar being is disturbed by this and will seek you out to end it.
– the spell is not contained into spell book form, it comes alive in your library with a motive to destroy spells and libraries. It is only affected by magic or a quest to remove it.
Magical research library – bulky
Basic – 300 coin, + 0 library, 3 uses
Advanced – 600 coin + 1 library, 4 uses
World Class – 2000 coin + 2 library, 6uses
Incredibly Awesome – must find it in the ancient ruins of _______ + 3 library, 6 uses
What would you do instead of this?