I’m curious – how often does the Defend move get used in your games? My players (myself included) are pretty offensive-minded to the point that I can’t really remember a Defend even being rolled. Probably this is partly a DM-ing problem, where I simply don’t think to call for Defend rolls even when they might be appropriate. And part of it may be that we’re underestimating Defend (for one, the counterattack option seemed pretty lame when I was first level, but now that I’m 7th level, that’s actually more damage than I can do with an unmodified Hack and Slash. Blink blink. I’m going to have to look more closely at that.)
But I still think some of it also is that players are never prompted to go looking for a chance to Defend. There are quite a few advanced moves that modify Hack and Slash, but the only class move that even mention Defend are the Paladin Staunch Defender and Impervious Defender moves. Staunch Defender just gives +1 hold (kind of boring). Impervious Defender is a little better, adding a new effect: on 12+ “instead of getting hold the nearest attacking creature is stymied giving you a clear advantage.”
But surely we can do better. Anyone have any ideas to extend Defend in interesting ways? Things that could be used as magic item effects or additional class moves or whatever.
* When you defend, you may also spend hold to ask one of the questions from the Discern Realities list.
* When you defend, also heal 1 HP.
* When you defend, you may also spend hold to throw back your enemy or knock them off their feet.
* You are so fast on your feet you may Defend as if your weapon had range reach.
* When you defend, take +2 armour forward. (Class Warfare Defender)
* When you defend, you cannot be moved if your feet are planted firmly upon the ground. (Class Warfare Impervious Dwarf racial)
* As long as you have chi left, you may Defend with DEX instead of CON. (Class Warfare Martial Hero).
* When you use the natural formations of a cave to your advantage, take +1 to Defend and Defy Danger. (Class Warfare Caver)
More interesting ideas?