I’m mulling over #DarkestDungeonWorld
I’m mulling over #DarkestDungeonWorld . I think a big part of the DD feel I want is the vulnerability and impermanence of the characters. I also like the tactical decisions that comes with mix-and-matching different characters into a functional party for a fresh expedition Below. This means players will be handling multiple characters over the course of the game, if not on each expedition, ala OD&D/Funnel World. If we also want Stress/Steel to be tracked, this is a lot of numbers to juggle.
Here are some things I’m considering to ease the bookkeeping:
* No Stat Scores, only Modifiers. These will be rolled with 1D6-3.
* No Race, Alignment, or Bonds. Quirks will fill these roles, which may or may not operate the same as Alignments ala Peter J’s rules.
* No Charisma. There isn’t time for social niceties, and the Darkness Below isn’t going to stop to listen to you Parley.
* Most gear will not be tracked between expeditions/delves. There will be set Outfits available for each character to chose from when preparing for an expedition. But if a character randomly comes with a special weapon or other item, it will stay with them.
* Likewise, no personal Coin is tracked (and wealth plundered should probably be abstracted in some way).
What I’d especially like your thoughts on is Health. Here are the options I see:
* Normal HP
* The Descriptive Harm Hack, spending HP to resist damage
* Conditions similar to Torchbearer or AW, possibly acting the same as Quirks
* Debilities/Stat damage – both temporary and permanent
I like the simplicity of Debility damage only, and it also lends to the general atmosphere of brutality. It also blends fairly well twith descriptive harm, since there are basically various kinds of damage, and reduced capacities. What do you think?