How do you handle romance involving characters?
Do you handle it strictly through the roleplaying fiction?
Or do you involve dice and custom moves?
I wrote this custom move up and am curious for feedback.
(Also, I don’t have the Monsterhearts game – which I understand involves lots of romance)
When you try to start a romantic Bond with an NPC, roll+CHA.
– On a 10+, define your new bond.
– On a 7-9, the GM defines a bond between you and the other character that isn’t romantic – though that could someday change
– On a 6-, GM makes a move.
Defining a bond could be anything from “friends with benefits” to “the beginning of my life’s love”.
A non-romantic bond could be “We’re friends, but I still want more” or “We’re friends, and that’s totally cool” and so on.
A GM move could be
– Reveal an Unwelcome Truth (“You’re just not that into me”)
– Show signs of an approaching threat (jealous rival)
– Use up their resources (Expensive date doesn’t go well)
– Turn their move back on them (Relationship starts but is dysfunctional)