Monster Hunter World Moves
I posted these to my circles, bit I’m looking for more feedback. I am (once again) tinkering with some custom moves inspired by the Capcom Monster Hunter videogame franchise. Basically, characters go out on quests for the Hunters Guild to hunt and slay large monsters. They then use parts from those slain monsters (scales, bone, hide, etc.) and other collected resources to craft special weapons and armor.
I’m not looking to completely emulate the game and I’m intending these custom moves to be additions to “vanilla” DW rather than replace anything. I’d appreciate any thoughts and feedback.
Whenever you enter an new area while on a quest for the Hunter’s Guild, roll+WIS. On a 10+, you gain 3 hold, and on a 7-9, you gain 2 hold. On a 6-, you gain 1 hold in addition to whatever else the GM says. If you are entering a previously explored area, you gain 1 hold instead.
While exploring a new area the group may spend hold 1-for-1 to:
– discover a resource gathering point, mineral, botanical, or animal, your choice;
– discover a terrain feature useful for fighting a large monster;
– discover the area has no hazardous terrain features.
– discover the area is free of small monsters.
At any time the group may spend 7 hold to encounter the large monster you are on a quest to slay.
When you use a pickaxe to collect resource from a mineral gathering point, decide if you collect 1, 2, or 3 ore and if one ore collected is rare. Then roll+ore collected, adding +1 if you collected a rare ore. On a 10+, choose one, and on a 7-9, choose three:
– your tools don’t break;
– you don’t deplete all other mineral gathering points in the area;
– you aren’t ambushed by a small monster;
– a large monster doesn’t enter the area.