Has anyone ever tried group initiative/turns, either in DW or another game?
The classic method of initiative in combat goes like this:
– It’s Player 1’s turn
– Player 1 says what they are going to do.
– Player 1 makes a move if triggered to do so.
– The results of Player 1’s move are declared by the GM.
– It’s Player 2’s turn.
Group initiative allows all of the characters to act nearly simultaneously, like so.
– Everyone declares their actions.
– Any moves that are triggered are rolled for.
– The results happen for everyone all at once.
I think that this approach may more realistically simulate a chaotic environment. It prevents “PC octopus” and keeps everyone’s attention when it isn’t their turn.
Does this sound workable?