Here’s a bard move. It’s written from personal experience.
When you play a gig, roll + CHA. On a 10+ pick three, on a 7-9, pick 1.
* The innkeeper pays you what was agreed upon without trying to stiff you
* You leave the tavern with, um, companionship
* No one tries to steal your lute
* When you jokingly told the guy who asked you to play “Sweet Home Blackmoor” that you’d do it for 50 coin, he actually paid and stopped trying to sit in on ocarina
* While sharing halfling pipe leaf behind the tavern with the piper and morris dancers, you learn some useful gossip
* The innkeeper asks you to play again next week. Take +1 forward to your next “Play a Gig” roll.