This week on Dungeon World
I’m trying to work out how to best play DW as self-contained episodes.
What I’m looking for
– flexibility so game can continue even one or two people (out of five) are missing each session, perhaps even different GMs
– new port every session, creating a montage of action since last session
– start each session knee deep in the action, already committed
– end each session whenever, yet allow success and trouble influence the montage that sets up next session
I’m thinking sort of mission- or job-based session with a varying crew.
Things I’m considering using to prep each session
– Work through Steadings
– Advance Campaign Fronts, with gods and armies and dragons etc.
– New business, inspired by Campaign Fronts but also random like Finding Work from the Planarch Codex
– Unfinished Business, when sessions don’t end neatly; something for influencing the montage and next session set up
– Of course, follow all the GM agenda, principles, move etc.
I’ve got some ideas for how to resolve Unfinished Business, possibly randomly, but I’m wary because I often overcomplicate things like this. I mean, maybe something like an In A Wicked Age Oracles. Or am I missing an obvious simple way to create such an in-between action montage?