I posted this below on the scrolls thread, but I think the thread was dead by the time I did. Would love to get comment or ideas for improvement, as I’m thinking of using it. It kind of bothers me that the Thief is the only class that has no multiclass options at all, and something like this is pretty classic.
Thief Advanced Move (2-5):
You can use magic items that require arcane ability, such as wands, scrolls, and certain ioun stones. Tell the DM the downside of your knack, such as:
* You struggle with control, and have a tendency to backfire, hit the wrong target, or burn extra charges.
* Your knack is erratic, and can leave you nauseated and disabled on a miss.
* Your knack is chaotic, produces loud and showy side effects, and occasionally draws the attention of things from beyond.
* You bought your knack from a higher power, who demands occasional payments.
* Your knack depends on an item you stole, and someone wants it back.
* A powerful wizard’s or templar’s guild hunts anyone with your knack.